So first things first, a proper introduction. You will know me as Ruth, middle aged mother. I have several children who range in age from 17 to 2. None of the children live with me now. I am a very devoted mother, and their departure was quite recent, and not of my choosing. I have been married for 3 years now, and we live very simply on a remote stretch of deserted land without utilities or common comforts. I harbor dreams of putting roots down and making the desert bloom with life, but my husband is a bit of a gypsy and is ever asking where I'd like to move to next. I find this incredibly frustrating, as my childhood included moving as soon as the house was finished being remodeled, which meant no friends, no garden, no roots. For the first time in my life, I have friends and property and I want roots for my children and grandchildren.
We have 2 dogs and a cat. Our animals are confused to say the least. The big dog, she is a 75 pound mutt, catches mice and finds it all the more thrilling if they are jumping through the air, where she routinely catches them. The smaller dog thinks she is a pomeranian, but she's quite a bit larger than one. She insists upon sleeping on me, sitting on me, being on me at all times, and with her 15 pounds of solid muscle, she makes me quite uncomfortable. The cat is completely useless and has the worst flatulence of any living thing. She frequently finds herself outside much to her chagrin, but is loving and affectionate, grabbing your limbs to lick them as you try to walk past. She won't catch mice (of which we have an abundance considering where we live) and sticks her nose up at them when they are presented to her. Perhaps if she would change her diet to mice instead of dog food (apparently it's better than cat food), we wouldn't have to remove her from the house so often. I long for chickens, peafowl, cows, goats, horses, etc. Maybe someday.
1 comment:
Good start!
Post a Comment