Changes

Monday, July 21, 2014

Yesterday's run

All of my blog posts have been wrong. The distance was correct but the number of laps was off. The track around the park is .7 miles. That being said, it's clear that I lose track while I'm running and it all blurs together. I take this as a good thing.  
OK, now that I've cleared that up, I can move on.
Yesterday's run was similar to the previous run in distance but the feelings had changed. We started with a quick walking pace in the opposite direction of our usual. Usual meaning twice so far.
I immediately wanted to quit.
My body was protesting every single step. Menacingly. My friend is a great support and gently coaxes me without harsh rebukes. I've explained that my whining is a cry for a gentle nudge, which is all I usually need. She will offer one or two nudges. I know that she will let me quit if I insist, so the onus is on me to push myself. I like it this way. If I'm concerned about something,  knowing my tendency to be a hypochondriac, I ask if it's normal. If she says yes or has a way for me to adjust my posture to make the pain stop, I'm grateful I mentioned it. Usually this ends up looking like a change in what we are doing, I have not had to stop or seek medical attention.
Again we start with a fast walk. We go around the curve, which seems longer going this new direction. My body aches and doesn't feel good. I want to throw up and throw in the towel. What was I thinking,  picking up RUNNING at 37?? Was I put out my mind?? This is usually the age where we pick up knitting or ballroom dancing, of for us midlife crisis types, we buy something sporty or sexy. There are always the ultra tame folks who take up skydiving, spelunking, or sell everything and backpack through Africa, too, but that's never really been my thing either.
I start to jog. My friend reminds me to slow down. Often. I need to hear this, probably more often, but I'd hate to have her think I'm not listening so I focus on going slow. I'm out of breath in seconds instead of immediately, but I still feel sluggish. I push myself to push harder until my body runs out of excuses. That puts us half at around the track! What? ? I've never gone that far without stopping,  so I'm elated even though I'm gaping and red faced. We walk for a few seconds then I push myself to run again because I thought of more excised to quit. I have to say 'no' tip my body with every step. We slow to a walk and get back to running again quickly. The whole track goes like this,  with bouts of running with a little walking. My body is threatening mutiny at this point. I can hear my shins cackling with excitement over how miserable I'm going to be very soon. My bad hip threatens to knock me over into an invisible pile of dog poo that will miraculously appear as my face rapidly approaches. My lungs say it's my fault they don't work. Oh and that little cramp I keep feeling under my lowest right rib?  It mocks me.
We make it around the first time and I mention I had better run past the car so I don't give up.
It's a wonder my friend isn't bored to tears given the great shape she's in, and I'm grateful she puts up with me!
We keep going. She challenges me to make it to the public dog watering station which is about as close as Jupiter. My body is laughing at me and I'm surprised fellow park patrons aren't asking if I'm ok or calling the flight for life helicopter. Sure, we're only spitting distance from the hospital but I can't see that far anymore anyway. I push through the protest. My shins can barely take anymore,  the pain is through the roof. My mind is foggy and my mouth is dry. I'm gasping for breath and trying to slow my racing hear down.  I keep pushing, run or walk I'm going to make it around this park. Whenever I feel like I'm done, I pick a landmark and run to it.
Twice around. Once more, my friend suggests, and I say fine but we will have to walk more of it. My shins are screaming. We walk a bit, I feel slightly recovered,  so we run again. I'm positive the track has grown by 10 miles while I was around the corner. When did those hills appear??  I trudge along feeling like Snuffalupagus but I keep going. I make it to a point in the 3rd lap where we are almost done. I push to a sprint to the car. Sprinting feels amazing!!

No comments: