One typically doesn't appreciate little things until you can't have or do them. At last week's visit, my youngest did something that she hasn't been able to do ever. She's 2 1/2 years old, and has never been able to nod her head. Her therapist was playing 'if you're happy and you know it' on her ipad, and my little girl stood to her feet, clapped her hands (as best she could), stomped her foot (without falling down!!!), nodded her head and then couldn't keep up anymore with all the demands of doing them all at the same time. I don't know about you, but nodding my head is something I take for granted typically. This small act had me in tears. Her progress is truly phenomenal.
Today, I had to pack up the clothes & toys for my kids to take them to my mom. It feels like I am throwing away their whole existence, as if they had died and I'm just getting rid of them. I fight the constant urge to cling tighter to their dirty toys and worn out clothes and smelly shoes because it is somehow bringing me close to something that they once touched. I have to go wash all of the clothes and toys somewhere before I relinquish them for what seems like forever.
Another thing that happened today, I saw my uncle driving down the road with my son in the car. He motioned for me to call him, so I did. He seemed anxious to catch up with me. He is a good guy, although he tends to be biased towards whatever my mom wants, which isn't always good. It was good to talk to him. I only hope that he can inject a little logic into the whole thing.
2 comments:
I am sorry! That is Zoe doing that though? Yippee!
Ya, Zoe is starting to do a lot of things that she couldn't do before, similar to the nodding. She insists upon wiping her mouth, for example, after each bite, then walking (assisted) all the way across the room to the trash can to throw out every individually used napkin! She will then go sit back down, have one more bite, wipe her face, and repeat!
Post a Comment