This weekend I attended a Personal Mastery course put out by Klemmer & Associates.
Klemmer & Associates is a Christian based organization that teaches self improvement and awareness through being mindful and not hiding behind excuses. No, they're not cults. Well, they're cultish as much as drinking out of glasses instead of your hands is cultish. It's self help. Given that most of our parents did a so-so job AT BEST, self improvement is a pretty good idea to avoid repeating your parents mistakes and adding a few of your own unhealthy doses on top of them. It's fortunately not limited to parenting. Self improvement spans the broad subject of 'self.'
Most self-improvement companies offer the exact same stuff, so pick the one that resonates with you, or in my case, the one that is being offered in your area. Since I don't live in a major hub, the offerings are usually dismal, so I jumped at this opportunity.
Over the weekend, we were challenged to take a look at the messages we were sending ourselves that block our progress. For example, if someone says to you, 'This apple is amazing, and only costs $50.' Now you might say to yourself a couple of things. I don't want an apple could be the first thing. The next thing could be that the price is too high. Those are messages that we send ourselves. If the apple happens to be made of gold, $50 seems reasonable, which would be another message. Messages can be good, bad, ugly or nothing. They can be helpful or hindering, and it's up to you to find your way out of that maze or just take the easy way out. That would be playing the victim violin. If you decide to play victim, everyone can see it but you. You might elicit some sympathy for a while, but eventually people will get sick of it and you'll run out of people you can whine to. Well, I'm there. I've played the victim violin my whole life, and it's tiresome. I knew I wanted change, but didn't know that I could just make a choice to not be a victim anymore. What??? Revolutionary!
More on this later...
No comments:
Post a Comment