Changes

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Christian-eze

I started a bible study on Tuesday nights, which has been fun! It's been great to get prayer and encouragement, and be able to offer it to others as well. We don't really cover a lot... Usually they go over what the pastor said in the Sunday sermon that I can't go to because my son attends the church and I'm not allowed to go where he is. Anyway, the funny part of the bible study is all the religious terminology. I didn't realize how funny Christians sound from the outside! I had thought about inviting a friend, but realized I would have to spend half of the time interpreting! Here are some of the terms, I can't recall them all, but if you know of any, please leave them in the comments!
A lot of them sound like a Hollywood-quality possession:
Walking in the Spirit
spoke through me
took control of my heart
Others make you just wonder what the heck is happening to this poor person:
Bound my tongue
living the word
eating the word
on fire
speaking in tongues
my favorite: covered in the blood!
And some others:
putting on the armor of God (just think about the armor for a second)
we talk a lot of being consumed, by fun things like fire, ghosts (the spirit)
being set apart (sounds like a cult)
master/servant relationships (we are slaves/servants/lowly)
Eating the bread/drinking the wine/spirit/the word (sounds like drinking the koolaid)
the rapture is another fun one - explain that to anyone who hasn't seen the Left Behind movies!
Born again
Bride of Christ
anointing
laying on of hands
giving it to God
salvation
The really sad thing is how they talk about Jews. Most mainstream Christians have a negative view of Jews. There are a lot that don't feel this way, which is nice. But having been in the company of Messianic Jews for 8 years, I find it horrifyingly offensive how a lot of Christians feel. I have been told that Jews are the enemy, they are stupid, blind, stubborn and stiff-necked, all in the Bible Study setting.

Here are some web articles on speaking Christian:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/31/do-you-speak-christian/
http://philcooke.com/christian_lingo/
http://lamponastand.com/category/christian-lingo-101/



No comments: