First, there was a treatment team meeting on Tuesday. It went pretty well! They are moving visits along to the next stage, which includes all kids at one visit time/date. It means that they are ready & willing to watch me parent my children all together to see if I'm capable of the task. I am looking for help with age-blended activities so that I can entertain a 3 1/2 yr old pirate/girl, a disabled 3 1/2 yr old ninja/girl, and a very jealous 7 yr old boy. Plus I will have to feed, guide, and attend to their emotional needs all in one little hour and a half window. Wish me luck, I am confident that I can do it without much more hassle than the occasional tantrum.
Second, right after the treatment team meeting, I quit my job. My x was there, and I warned him before hand. He was very nice, like he used to be when we first met. He asked if I had ever quit a job like this before (where there is sensitive info on my computer, where they won't expect me to complete 2 weeks, etc) I said, no, so he talked me through what to expect, knowing that I was an emotional basket case from the treatment team meeting earlier. My boss was very polite, more like humoring me. She didn't feel like it was a good fit, like I was supposed to run in to her office, take everything off her desk, and just do all her work for her, for the salary of $1500/mo, gross, no benefits. Add to that, she wouldn't let me take anything and you have a problem. SOOOO, it ended well, she tried to talk me out of the money she owed me, and I declined. Her husband was more willing to help and insisted that it would be better to 'keep things separate' (which means I'll get paid for the work I did).
Third, I re-booted the cleaning business that I started about a year ago. While I'm getting my wraps business to a profitable place (it breaks even right now), I will have to do something to pay the bills. Since cleaning is pretty easy for me and I can just pick it up any time, that's what I chose.
Fourth, and this is the most awesome part: The fashion show for the Ariel Benefit was today! below are some pictures of my own and then my favorites:
This was the 13 yr scarf made by one friend, and a coincidence-match made by another friend!
the 10th Doctor
Child size beret/hat that I made
One friend made these fingerless gloves/wrist warmers. The detail is exquisite and they are a deep purple cotton.
the 9th Doctor
This cowl is a cranberry color in reality, and is thick, heavy and warm!
this one is a big twisty long infinity scarf that you can drape like a shawl, wear like a scarf or necklace. I don't care for the colors, but the pattern is wonderful!
11th Doctor
Here's the poster for the benefit
Ok, this is where I get sketchy...I think this is the 7th Doctor
This is a bright eggplant/fuscia color, and my first-ever lace project. It was a lot of fun to make!
Teal, one of the girls made this, it was lighter than air, silk, would be my favorite of everything.
I think this is the 6th or 5th Doctor. I made him, but I don't remember...
One of the ladies made this creative gem - I love it! All pom-poms! It was so fun!
You can't really see this one well, but it's the frayed ends of silk sari's that were twisted into a vibrant, beautiful yarn that I knitted into a very long scarf. A friend (who happened to finish almost everything I started) gave me the yarn a couple of years ago, and I didn't know what to do with it. When she mentioned the gallery, the purpose became clear. It's a thin, super long scarf that is very heavy and vividly colored. A little boy won the bidding on this one, and he was just totally in love with it!
I made this one as well. The yarn is made of these giant chenille spagetti strands that are knitted together in between. It was fun to knit and a lovely gray color.
This was my second owl. A friend figured out where I was stuck and embroidered the question marks on (this doctor wears a vest with question marks), and figured out an ingenious way to get the umbrella to have an umbrella on the cane! I had tried several times, both the embroidery (I used a sock to practice) and to get the umbrella put together. I hade made the wand, but couldn't figure out the fabric. It turned out beautifully!
I am so excited to learn today that an idea can turn into a fantastic thing when placed in the right hands. Those hands belong to my dear friends, who opened an art gallery a few months ago, and decided to get things going with benefits & auctions for charity. They put art in the gallery, people bid, then the proceeds go to a good cause. It generates publicity for the gallery, and money for folks in need. This month's auction/benefit was for Ariel Clinical Services, which was an idea I threw out there about a year ago, I think (maybe longer). I wanted to do a knit-along with the knitting group I am a part of, Weekly Fiber, and we picked owls. One of the girls suggested we make them Dr Who owls after the tv show that we all seem to really like. So we each picked a doctor that we wanted to make, and knitted up the owls. Then someone decided to make it a bigger thing: gallery, wearable items, fashion show... I don't know where the idea came from, but my little idea wasn't little anymore and scared me half to death. They worked it really hard and made it take flight in a really big, amazing and wonderful way that I was so excited to get to be a part of! As you, my friends know, I am not a finisher-person. I make a scarf and leave the ends hanging out. I make a dress and neglect to buy the matching belt so it hangs in the closet, unwearable. I wash the dishes and leave them on the counter. I'm afraid to finish. It was brought to my attention (more than once, by more than one) and it became a theme of something I decided to work on this past month. It's very important for my livelihood to get my life together and finish what I start. So here goes! Wish me luck!

















No comments:
Post a Comment